The building dates from 1864 and was built to function as both church and school for Helliﬁeld village. The schoolmaster's house was attached to the end of the building. Mrs Frances Stansﬁeld, wife of the Vicar of Coniston Cold, provided this village facility. She was a member of the Hamerton family of the original Helliﬁeld Peel.
From Monday to Friday , the building served as an Elementary School and on a Sunday it became the church and Sunday School. The Institute continued to fulﬁl these roles until the building of the present St Aiden’s Church and the primary school in the ﬁrst decade of the 20th century.
ln 1887 the ownership of the land, school and schoolhouse was transferred to the board of trustees for the sum of £500 with the site to be used for educational and charitable purposes, and ”as a school for the education of children and adults or children only of the labouring, manufacturing and other poor classes ”.
The running of the school was the responsibility of a Committee of Management. In 1972 the responsibility changed to a Committee of Trustees to run as a registered charity — the situation it is today.
After closing as a school in 1915, the Institute was used as a reading room and billiard room for men only. Later the village library was located there and in 1926 the Girls Friendly Society met in the Institute. What is now the Yorke Room, was turned into a kitchen to provide school meals for schools in the district. It was later used as a workshop by a local business.
In the 1980's the kitchen and toilets were built along with the conservatory linking all the rooms within the Institute. Major Yorke was invited to open the refurbished back room renamed the Yorke Room. It was at this time that the adjoining house was sold.
In recent years improvements have continued to be made to the building, including a new heating system, new windows, and a new roof, as well as investment in equipment and facilities to bring the Institute's facilities up to 21st century standards. As a result the building has evolved to the multi-purpose centre it is today. Still run by local people for the local community.
Due to the current government Covid-19 restrictions, the Village Hall is currently not in use, other than for Parish Council meetings, which are allowed to take place. See Parish Council website for public access conditions. Once restrictions are lifted, detail of opening guidelines will be given.
If you have future booking queries, please contact Ken and Heather Leak on 0783 7727 268 or 0779 0042 206 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and they will provide full up to date information.
To enquire about making a booking please contact us:
via our Contact Form
telephone our Booking Secretaries: Heather Leak 0779 0042 206, or
Ken Leak 0783 7727 268
Chairman's Report 2020 - may be viewed HERE.
Coffee mornings will not take place until further notice
Normally Coffee Mornings are held on most Saturday mornings from 10am to 11.30am, helping to raise funds for local charitable causes. Once these resume bookings are made by contacting Heather Leak on 0779 0042 206 or Ken Leak on 0783 7727 268.
Latest 200 Club results
1st Prize £25 - No. 40 - Ian Ludlam-Brown
2nd Prize £15 - No. 32 - Stan and Liz Kilburn
3rd Prize £10 - No. 52 - Yvonne Crabtree